Sunday, March 7, 2010

Fundamentals of Buddhism..

Book number 7 for the year.

Part of my university course many years ago touched on religions and philosophy. I've always been fascinated by what makes us tick (or not). Though my reading is not as extensive as I'd hope, I've done a few; including the translation of the Quran by Pickthall which my roommate got for me for my 21st birthday!

Lat was my roommate and she has the longest name I know. S KPR Latha N. Each letter stands for a name. I used to be amazed by that. She was a final year Mechanical Engineering student; well read and a uni debater. We used to talk philosophy and life into the night and there were many of them during my first year 8). So, as I was looking through a list of ebooks, this caught my eye. Decided to give it a read. Took me quite a while!

The book is actually a compilation of 12 talks by Dr. Peter D. Santina on the basics of the Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, Karma, rebirth, dependent origination, the three universal charateristics and Five Aggregates.

While taking the Middle Path is advocated, I feel it also gives excuse for compromise, not necessarily positive ones. Changes in us are supposed to happen from outside to inside and finally through meditation you are supposed to become self-sufficient. Good conduct is supposed to earn your salvation. Actions are supposed to bring you into the next level of mental development and this is supposed to give rise to wisdom.

My understanding... people may have deified Siddharta Gautama but basically his teachings are what he said them to be... a way of life, philosophy about life. You go round pondering and meandering about the meaning of your existence. But in the end, life's cycles continue, suffering doesn't quite seem to cease, it only does when nothingness is achieved. Buddhism seems to be about self-sufficiency cos gods and demigods are subjected to the same cycles.... that should mean that Gautama has achieved nothingness. So why is he deified? Does that mean that when we offer prayers at the statue of Buddha, we are praying at nothingness?

The mind is supposed to control all. Yet man's first nature is always to do the opposite of right when their own comfort is threatened. A person steals... you ask him... yet almost always it is denial. I tend to think the human mind is corrupted. We need grace! Look at our kids. They need our grace all the time. If we leave it to their devices (mind), I dread to know what will be achieved.

Hope? So, what is there to stop me from doing what is morally unacceptable since I know that I can always seek redemption in my next life. And since I'd have no recollections of it, it's of no consequence really to my this life. While many find this to be the answer to the direction in their lives and I do agree with many of its philosophical approaches, it still doesn't answer many questions about the purpose of our existence or eternity.

The concept of eternity is replaced by a cycle that ends only when nothingness is achieved, then release from suffering... self, not self, mind... Life in itself is a suffering. The outlook does come across as pessimistic. Buddhist concept of hell and heaven is they are not eternal. Hope is nothingness. In Buddhism you are supposed to create your own nirvana.

Buddhism is not something I'm a stranger to, having grown up with the Buddhist cum Taoist rituals of my maternal grandparents. My neighbour used to take me to the temple when I was young. I used to see my aunties burn the joss sticks, watch the yearly offering rituals during CNY and other special times. But while I may agree to good morals advocated, there are some major areas which I find it does not address. And if heaven and hell are not eternal, then wouldn't the mortals and immortals continue to use this very reason for immoral behaviour???

Still, the book was an educational read, nevertheless...

4 comments:

Dino said...

Well, by now, you should have an idea of my position on religion. As long as the actions of man is gear towards peace and happiness, its all good.

AJ7 said...

Faith... I prefer to call it by that, is a personal choice. Like you said, you have your peace and happiness now... though the definition of peace and happiness may differ from phase to phase in our lives. In a child, you tell him about God, he accepts unquestioningly. As a capable and successful adult, he'd probably reason it out in another way - God/faith/religion becomes more distant cos we are independent and 'self-sufficient'. As we enter our final phase on earth and lose our self-suffiency, perhaps we might return to that initial phase of our existence. I see religious fervor increasing in older people, though. But to each his choice.... my 2 sen. 8)

PreciousPearl said...

the only things that bother me about some Buddhism is that some teachings are terserong and become bogged down in idolatry/ ancestor worship/ animism/ superstition. otherwise is largey OK as a philosphy or moral code for living (rather than as a religion)
my 2p for today :)

AJ7 said...

Precisely my point... it was meant as way of life as you said. Animism, superstition etc are Taoist (and other religions) influence.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...