Sunday, December 7, 2008

Makan-Makan Sakae Teppanyaki

Made a trip back to Sitiawan during the weekend. One of the things the kids would look forward to is the journey back to Alor Star where we would stop for dinner at AutoCity.
Photobucket
This last trip was not much different except that we didn't know what we wanted to eat. Guess it's time to look a new stop for food. In the car the kids were saying no Japanese food as we've had quite a bit of that lately. But finally after going round the place twice, we stopped at Sakae Teppanyaki. Son was already quite unhappy...
Photobucket
Place was quite empty when we walked in. So we ordered...it's Other Half and kids' first teppanyaki experience. Then we and sat down to watch our food being cooked. Expected some show but it was quite ordinary. Not much clanging or throwing of cooking utensils. 8( But I found this chawan mushi in an onion cute.
Photobucket
Had the seafood set...so naturally there was oyster. It was so-so. Not very spectacular. I like oyster but this one is really shriveled up. I still like my mom's slightly scalded oyster in chilli and salt. Tastier.
Photobucket
Mushroom is usually my favourite at a Japanese restaurant. I got excited when I saw them preparing them but this one was a letdown. A little too bitter for my liking. Maybe my taste buds are not so refined.... 8(
Photobucket
Our first time at foie gras...or fattened goose liver, a French delicacy. It's nice and has a buttery taste to it but I think how they forced the animal to eat is cruel. Not sure whether I'll eat this again though....small voice telling me it's not right. Had escargot too... Name it snails and I wonder whether it'll still remain a delicacy. The Romans used to consider them an elite food. Give a fancy name to an ordinary food... and it transforms it into food fit for the elite...Aiyo!
Photobucket
And while we were eating, we also looked around at other diners' food. Drinks were exorbitantly expensive. It's a waste ordering for kids....in the end we had to help them with it. Meal for 4 adults and 1 kid came up to over RM200. Bill paying was quite funny...the waitress wasn't sure who to give the bill to...usual practice would means the man pays. But since my credit card gives a 2% rebate, I did the paying. The poor gal hesitated, cos when she went to Other Half, he buat tak tahu...LOL!! Some more the waitress didn't want to offend....

The meal was kinda expensive but at least it was a new experience.

But generally speaking, the novelty of AutoCity has finally worn off in us, I guess.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

err... what is auto city ah? sorry lah - i blur...

AJ7 said...

AutoCity is this place in Juru, just a short distance from Penang Bridge (coming from south). It's a place where all kinds of car dealerships and banks can be found. Wanna buy a Ferari, it's there... Also, one can find all the 'big names' of food establishments. We like it cos it's a one stop with variety, convenient cos it's just off the highway.

Anonymous said...

aiseh, that oyster looks dem shrivelled :(

AJ7 said...

yup...cook not so good. LOL!!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...