Sunday, December 14, 2008

Utopia..

The word utopia has come to mean a perfect and ideal place.... after the book Utopia written by Thomas More in the 16th century. It is considered a classic.

Would I see a utopia in my country in my lifetime? Thomas More's Utopia was one of the recommended reads in my first year at uni. I tried but because it was originally written in Latin and later translated into English which required a lot of digesting, I only remembered its gist. Moreover, it was so long ago and I was so young then....

Was just surfing around and came across the book again. I decided to go for a read again. And to my surprise this time, I actually enjoyed it! But reading from the computer screen can be rather tiring on the neck. Thanks to Project Gutenberg I had no problem getting a 'copy'. I could download it to my comp. Was going to put it into my PDA but because I had put it in 'cold storage' and was too lazy to charge the battery; in the end sat and read it from my comp...since it wasn't that long.

It's interesting to note that Utopia was a product of Renaissance Europe...I always likened it as the period where the mind underwent emancipation. And out of that came an outflow of creativity which changed Europe and turned it into a giant. It heralded a glorious European age which in turn changed the world. It's effects are still felt today...

One of the things in the early chapters caught my eye...the main character Raphael said that most monarchs were not interested in governing those they possess as they are more interested in acquiring lands (read that as wealth in today's context) for themselves. And that most ministers feel they don't need advice. If they do take advice, it is only from those who flatter and agree with them....the yes-men who fill our politics and civil service.

Back to our present time.... do our political leaders govern in our interests or theirs? And the presence of yes-men. Being a yes-man earns you position and wealth. Disagreeing or speaking out against wrong practices may earn you a place in the wretched resort in Kamunting or even cost you your life!

Not too long ago, the Public Accounts Committee Chairperson, Azmi Khalid was 'barbecued' by the Opposition for clearing the government of of Eurocopter deal. Then like a little small footnote...as if to clear his conscience (I'm glad he still has that bit of conscience in him), he voiced his concern that they did not physically check out the choppers before making a decision to spend RM1.6 billion. He must have been one of those yes-men. Must have been ordered to clear those guys up there from all wrong doings. Gahmen guidelines were not adhered in this fiasco....it's obvious for all to see. But in the end, no heads rolled.

If it had not been this internet age, they would have gotten off scott free cos the mainstream media is all under their thumbs. But this fiasco has all but been forgotten by the public now.

Utopia?? Hard to imagine it a reality cos we're dealing it's our fallen nature we're dealing with......

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...