Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Games and Memories

Been away from home the last couple of days. Went off for MSKPPM in Penang. Other Half was good enough to hold the fort while I was gone. Games played? Volleyball and on the last day... badminton... which was a last minute thingy. Minus a little hiccups here and there which are normal when you have a group of people staying together, basically I think it was one of the best times I've had with friends in recent times.
Photobucket
This is one that brings back memories of yesteryears. Been a long, long time since I was this 'siao' with friends. The silly things that we did....it's enough to make me laugh just thinking about it....what more with pics to remind me some more. LOL!

Accommodation wasn't the most comfortable but neither was it uncomfortable. We dragged mattresses into rooms so that everyone could be in the same wing. Had fun nights just sitting around talking and sometimes doing 'crazy' stuff together or out eating together. Have not done this for, like over 15 years! Felt like I was back to my school and uni days....those days when I used to go for camps and games.
Photobucket
Away from the responsibilities of work and home, it was also a time of letting their hair down for some. LOL! It's good to see them having fun, even though my mind was rather preoccupied by the next day's badminton game. I had not prepared myself to play.....
Photobucket
The feeling of comradeship...is also enough to pull at the heart strings. It was actually quite, quite sad to see it coming to a close. Twas not just with the volleyball mates but also badminton. Really struck a chord in my heart, especially after my badminton game. To see a friend shedding tears for me after my game and also friends who took the trouble to get up early despite the lack of sleep to just be there with me meant a lot.

And we also ate and ate and ate.
Photobucket
First stop...Gurun to pick up the 'baby' of our group. Had our breakfast of duck kuay-teow soup which is supposed to be very popular. My verdict...'boleh tahan-lah'. Most clear soup based food taste okay to me.
Photobucket
Tried the famous Apom Guan outside Union Institution where we had our games. Personally, I thought it was only okay. Alor Star also has many good apom stalls, I feel. But business was really brisk. We had to wait in line for our turn. But at least, now I can say I've tried the famous Apom Guan. 8)
Photobucket
Went to TGIF where we had a good time as well as a good meal.....joined by our 'baby's' friend. We ate at different food outlets, 'lepak' for hours at Rotiboy....basically doing the things which would have been impossible under normal circumstances.
Photobucket
At Gurney's Seoul Garden. Thought everyone didn't enjoy the food in the beginning cos it was so silent. Turned out it was like that cos everyone was famished and was busy tucking in. As the stomachs were filled, noises began to filter in. We enjoyed cooking our own food...and listening to silly jokes and songs. It was funny looking at each other's antics.
Photobucket
At Paddington's at Queensbay...where it's all about pancakes. The last stop before going home. I was already quite tired and weary from interrupted sleep, the late night before and an energy sapping badminton game in the morning. But we did a little more walking. Was quite, quite 'bushed' by the time we pushed off. SH did the driving till Gurun. I went almost immediately to sleep as soon as I took my stuff out from the bag upon reaching home. But today, I find myself thinking of the times we shared there quite a bit, kinda missing everyone in a way.
Photobucket
Also, we played and played....one would think of us as crazy, playing volleyball in the hot 3 pm sun. One of us even had blue blacks to show as 'battle scars'. But believe me, there are lots of crazy people like us who were willing to do that. Oh! We applied layers of sun block and what have you not...but in the end we still turned even browner than we were. Laments about being dark and the pigmentation....it's hilarious! ...and crazy! The fairer sex and beauty issues are inseparable! Will take weeks to go back to the original tone though. I've got three tones just on my legs!
Photobucket
This is the place where all the tanning took place. Penang did not do a good job, I feel. Usually the games are held indoors. Obviously they think we are like the Mat Sallehs who will enjoy the sun. Another grouse with the organizer was the trouble we had to go through just to get our cars past the guards who seemed bent on preventing cars with no authorization to enter the hostel area. But after the 3rd day, they gave up also after being swamped by cars from all over the country. ROFL!!
Photobucket
Met up with friends long not seen. I think this one I will cherish cos it also made me realised that whatever differences of thoughts and ways we might have had in the years before, at the end of the day, it's the meeting of lives that enriches our lives. For this opportunity and blessing, I am thankful....

Bridging relationships, friendships built, ...the list goes on. These are things that give meaning to life.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...