Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I Can't Wait to Leave Home..

Talk to most teenagers and this is a common thing for them to stay. For some reason, they can't wait to leave home after they finish their Form 5 (O levels equivalent). I guess this longing is not something new. I felt the same after I had finished my Form 5. But unlike my kid who today has a choice...I basically had none...well actually I had. I could start working but thankfully, I was not foolish enough to pursue that path! 8) My dad couldn't afford the private college fees. So, Form 6 was automatic. My heart ached as some my friends left for KL and later overseas studies.

So I plodded on in my Form 6. I now view it as rather defining years of my life. I think many who went through Form 6 would agree with me. I'm glad for those 2 extra years I spent at home. You know, as one matures, one tends to understand issues from a more mellowed perspective. Just as in how my perception of Tuah changed at different stages of my life. Anyway, it was a time when I began to take charge of my own life and the best part was I still had my parents to 'correct' me whenever I went 'astray'.

I've come to realize that our parents are probably the only people, who if we become better than them, will feel genuinely happy for us and cheer us on some more. Simple reason.... cos we're their kids. So, there's nothing like having people like that around us to prod us back to the main path when we go sesat. Just like God wanting the best for His children. I'm always humbled and amused by how God ordained the order of things in this world. Cos if we look long and hard enough, the parallel comparison is there. 8)

And being in familiar turf also meant that I had friends and also MYF counsellors who were there for us, especially during the more 'tumultuous' times. 8) It helps to have people who know us well around. The best part is...by the time you finally leave home, you are basically ready for the challenges cos you are definitely more mature, more sure of what you want in life, less unlikely to be swayed by the influences of everything... basically more stable.

These days, the proliferation of private colleges means more choices are available...or so that's what most people think. In their haste to leave home, many have been sucked into signing up for colleges with twinning programmes which actually do not help them maximize their potential. We're often taken up by the glossy adverts with all the nicely put words... we sign up thinking that the colleges are good. But the reality is...private education is a business and the bottom line is still the profit margin. Quality is often compromised.

Education, especially the latter part (college or uni) is important. For those bent on furthering their studies, the choice of university is important. I believe it's still better to actually physically attend a really reputable university, locally or overseas. The experience is different. You are more likely to be challenged to your max. You get to experience a real campus life. Basically, I think it prepares a person better for the working world. Even our top local unis would be a better experience than many of the private colleges, I feel. But in all the above, affordability, is an issue.

At one time, overseas graduates were sought after. These days, because of the twinning programmes which are aplenty and also the prohibitive costs of completing a programme all overseas, more are completing their studies here. But a new development seems to be unfolding...employers are saying that even graduates from private colleges are not quite up to expectations. So what gives???? The twinning programmes are not as good??? It'll probably be a while before this problem is better defined but at the moment, it may seem that furthering one's studies at a private college may not be the best option because of the compromised quality.

So, what then? Taking stock of one's situation is important. Also, thinking with the head, rather than the heart will also help. Form 6 may not be such a bad option... think of time with your family, think of $$$ saved but above all think of it as a time to explore your options and be more sure about your future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i left home after f5 - was a a junior college in singapore for 1 month - after which i decided to go back to kl to continue studies in kl.

it wasn't easy - but i guess it helped push me forward (in terms of growing up).

i plan to kick my kids out of home at 17 too. hopefully they all turn out well.

AJ7 said...

This gen and ours may be a bit different. Our kids grow up with aplenty. We had less...the desire to succeed and also the realization in each one of us then were also different. 17 today and then differ in terms of maturity...

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...