Friday, May 30, 2008

Damiral Grill....Makan-Makan in Alor Star

Another makan-makan Thursday.... actually the choice was either Pizza Hut at Tesco or Damiral Grill. Put it to a vote... finally decided on Damiral Grill. The other 3 had already been there once and it's supposed to be ok. Can't miss it cos it's located in one of the new shops beside the road, Jln Pegawai area, near CIMB. The restaurant was practically empty when we arrived.... guess we are always the early birds... either that or people come in later. Anyway, the decor is okay-lah. Actually quite nice. But the music or tv was way too loud. The echo was quite annoying. They should have thought of some curtains or drapes to dampen the sound.
Since we were the only patrons...we took our time in ordering. They had lobster on the menu...I couldn't resist it...so I ordered. But the order was actually a disappointment. It looked okay but when I dug into the lobster...I couldn't really find any lobster meat. The whole concoction was just a cheesy blob. And as I was eating, I actually saw a small prawn. Sheesh!! That shouldn't be, right? Small prawns in place of lobster??? If it had been udang galah pieces, I don't think I would have been able to tell the difference much. One thing for sure, I definitely will not order this again if I ever do go back.
The soup in the bread was okay though. I think all the 6 of us enjoyed 'tearing it up' and dipping it into the bread. Soup was thick and tasty... has to be thick I supposed. Otherwise, the bread will be leaking soup! 8) The mangkuk went into our stomachs too. No wastage at all. Every single drop of soup and crumb disappeared!
The other orders were steak for Huan and lasagna for Siah. Ling and Alyssa had the Combo Platter. The food was quite alright if you are not too fussy! Don't bother asking about getting your steak well done, rare or medium rare cos I think they only do it one style....cooked! The food is not that spectacular but not that bad either. On my way out, I did comment to the cashier about the lobster order. Told him that I couldn't really find any lobster in the dish and the little prawn. For RM42.90, one actually can't expect much. But if they are going to say it is lobster they are serving, then they better make sure that it is lobster and not some udang kecil. Otherwise, serve the real thing and charge the fair price!

Whatever it is....it's still an okay night out ....... for the good company. We ended up in Tesco after dinner. The whole place was still swamped with people. Guess the Tesco fever is still there!

2 comments:

Apps11 said...

LOL, feels funny with the lobster that you are unsatisfied with. For that price RM42, it's more than enough for me to have a lobster meal in sandakan. Anyway, Alor setar do have some fresh seafood as well. Maybe u just went to the wrong place

AJ7 said...

It didn't taste like lobster... and that was 5 years ago when prices of food was lower... 8)

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...