Monday, May 19, 2008

Plants, KFC Containers & Jelly Crystals

I like plants and used to be really crazy about them. Would scout the nurseries around town to look for any plant that was unusual. Even got myself a huge thick 'suitcase' like encyclopedia to learn about the plants. There was once I even managed to convince my sis to bring back some bulbs and seeds from the UK....of course most of them didn't grow but some did.Anyway, these days I don't have much time to spare for gardening. So I have scaled my interest down quite a bit. I go for indoor plants now...those I can put on my work table and not forget to 'jaga' cos I see them often. I have been keeping these for almost a year at work. What I did was used the KFC chicken rice plastic containers for takeaways and some jelly crystals, also known as hydrogels which have this super ability absorb and retain extremely large amounts of a liquid relative to its own mass. They are also supposed to depolymerized through natural decomposition processes between 2 - 5 years. Supposed not to harm the environment, so I was informed.
To cut the cover into fancy shapes I used the Olfa Compass Cutter to cut circles and their standard art knife to cut all the other shapes...my friends used to wonder how I could cut such round shapes....free hand. Ha! Ha! I like Olfa products cos they are of quite good quality. I use a lot of them for my other craft work....those days when time was something that I had in generous quantities. Sigh!
Anyway, this is an aerial view of one of the plants above. Originally it was just a few leaves but over the last few months, with some TLC, it has really grown beautifully. The jelly crystals meant I didn't have to worry about water, even during long breaks. Can easily last 5-7 weeks without watering. As for nutrients, I put in a little of those fertilizers into the water every now and then...lo and behold...

Notice the design on the cover...those are cut with the compass cutter and standard art knife cutter. You can also use the normal pen knife but it takes more effort because the blade is a little wobbly and makes cutting a little difficult. I like using the KFC container cos it actually looks nice and is easy to cut...something to do with the texture of the plastic.

1 comment:

elena32 said...

I will like to know the name of the plant that you used in this demostration of the Jelly Crystal. I also was wondering what other name of plants can I use just for this Crystal?. I like cactus plants and can I use only crystal jelly to grow them?. I just received this in all color as a gift and I can't wait to show of mine @ the office but will love to have my bamboo on it and the cactus. Please help. Thank you

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...