Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Stress in the month of May..

Why stress??? For those with school going kids, it's exam season, mid-year exam. School is stressful for parents, not just the kids...some more, for parents like me, a banana, who sent their kids to a chinese vernacular school. What to do? Kiasu! Then at the same time don't want to be caught in the madness of tuitions....tough act, but my resolve may crumble soon.

Coach her myself for Mandarin now....for BM and English, there's Ling to do it but soon she will be going to college. I think I am going to miss her lots cos she has been good for my gal. But at least those 2 subjects still can tahan. They are not lost on me. It's Mandarin that has been a tough act to maintain.

This is really one time when I thank my parents for making me attend Mandarin lessons in the afternoon when I was in primary school. You see after normal school in the morning, my parents made my siblings and me attend afternoon school in Chinese. It was for about 3 hours where we did most of the subjects in Mandarin. However, most of us took it quite lightly. I think I enjoyed climbing the trees with my friends during recess more than the lessons. The stunts that we pulled off those days; I don't think I'd ever let my kids do. But 5 years of attending the school enabled me to make a bit sense of the language. The one year I didn't go was the year I sat for my Std 5 Assessment Exam.

But now, the one gadget that has made it possible for me with my half baked Mandarin to coach her is the electronic dictionary. It reads out the words for me ... and there are many words I don't know (my ignorance shows), tells me the number of strokes for each character, the 'bu-sou' (see, now I am getting a little hang of it). The best part is it translates the meaning of the word into English. It's worth the $$$ I paid for it. For now...I think I can go sit for the Standard 1 Chinese Paper too.

3 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

think i spent a few yrs at those afternoon Mandarin classes. wot can i say.... it was all wasted on me!!! :(

Anonymous said...

Is that the Apple Tree brand? It was selling at RM1,600! I was tempted to buy but then afraid it will be left collecting dust like the traditional dictionary where we used them only when playing scrabble. hehe..

Oh, just found your blog thru Selena. Say hi to your low kong for me too.

AJ7 said...

Besta brand...cost RM15++ but if it's worth it. As long as you can write, boleh pakai already.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...