Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Experience with Coffee Addiction

I was never much of a coffee drinker. When I took coffee, it was not because I liked the taste or the smell (I know how people gush about the aroma, etc) but because it gives me the extra boost for me to get through certain tougher days. That was until recently....

Was facing some problems and I started to sleep less. In the mornings I still had to go work and I couldn't function very well since I was so tired. So, I turned to coffee. My cuppa became my saviour cos it would keep me awake and alert through the day. Before long, I needed thicker and stronger coffee...coffee was giving me my CPR - Coffee Provided Resuscitation. 8(

Then I went to Langkawi. Was just talking to my friend how tired I had been feeling and how much I needed coffee...me a non coffee drinker....just to stay functional. Something she said made me think...something to the extent of it's a sad state when one who is not a coffee drinker becomes a coffee junkie. When I got back that day, I decided that something had to be done...but still for the next one week, I had to have my usual cuppa.

The following Thursday after my trip, I decided to quit cold turkey. For the first 2 days I had this splitting headache, migraine like, cos my eyeballs felt as though they were splitting...and I felt really agitated. By the 3rd day, the headache was still there but it became more bearable. Today is the 11th day I've gone without coffee. In between those days, I had 2 cups of tea. Yesterday night, I didn't sleep really well again and this morning I had the urge to take coffee. I did not, and right now I have this little nagging headache, not so severe as to feel like it's splitting my eyeball but it's there. I am not saying I won't take coffee ever again, it's just that I don't think I want my life to be controlled by it..... I'll still take it, just not now. I want to take coffee as one of the simple pleasures in life.

I got this somewhere...
Most a.m. coffee drinkers don't realize it, but their morning cups of coffee set their bodies up for a rollercoaster day of highs and lows, only to bottom out at the point of exhaustion. Just a few hours after consumption, when the artificial high dies down, many people may reach for more coffee or something sugary to get another lift, leading to daily fluctuations in energy and alertness, and possibly to eventual chronic adrenal exhaustion.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...