Thursday, April 2, 2009

Badminton...

Badminton has always been my favourite game. Started playing it in earnest in Std 5. Dad was the one who got me interested. I played with him on the road outside the house in the evenings. I liked the game so much that I would pester him at every opportunity. Despite his busy schedule, he made the time. Got me good racquets too despite us not having much to spare. Even took me to play with him and his friends sometimes in the evenings. I used to be kinda pleased and proud to play with the adults.

Then as I grew into my teens I started to have my own group of friends. My kaki(s) were mostly boys. I'd save and scrooge for 'badminton money' - to pay for the court and shuttlecocks. Many mornings during my Form One and Form Two days were spent with badminton. I supposed it also kept me out of mischief. Mom always knew where I would be.... the badminton hall near my house. We didn't have a proper coach except during proper practice at school during badminton season. We learned from our own mistakes. I always played with boys... so I became better. Same in life... you want to be better, seek out the ones better than you. Then your bar is moved upwards and you in turn move upward too.

And because of badminton, Bro and I would get up at 6.30 a.m. and play during the hols. Lil bro used to tag along sometimes. I would be the only girl. Badminton courts those days were mostly outdoor and they were free. Indoor courts cost money. So, if we wanted to play longer it was either start early in the morning or play till late evening. The latter was more difficult as there was a curfew set at 7 p.m. by Mom. So we played in the mornings. It would last till 9.00 a.m. the latest as the sun would be beating down on us by then. Because of that too, my bros and I are closer to each other... cos we were playmates even during our teens... 8)

My most memorable game??? I was 15; played against the Under-18 state champion. I almost beat her after a gruelling game in the finals of one of the Open tournaments. Was asked whether I would be interested to go further... Dad said no. Studies was more important. So, that was it! I was okay with it too as I saw no future in the game. Moreover, I had other activities that were more appealing like MYF and the school band.

But I continued playing for fun... made many good friends out of it. Beat many guys too! LOL! That was a bit difficult for them to swallow but they always rose again to beat me. It's a guy thing not to lose to a gal! Another memorable game; I was in Form 2. The school coach asked me to play against the U-18 boys reserve... I beat him! LOL! He had to bear the brunt of his friends' teasings for a long time. But he bounced back a couple of months later and beat me squarely! How's that for inspiration!

However, the guys always treated me as one of them. Those were good and fun days. I continued playing in uni. I participated in the inter-uni games at national and also regional levels. It allowed me to travel a little and meet different people from different places... opened my eyes and mind a bit to a different sorts of experience.

I'm still playing it now... and most of my kaki(s) are still guys. But these days, for everyday that I can play, I am thankful for the opportunity cos the body starts to ache more now that age is catching up. My last tournament was last year when I played singles against a 25 year old. I lost after a good fight... but it also reminded me that my days are numbered. But it has been good...

Kids should pick up a physical game and not be glued to the computer all the time. Physical games involves physical contact; it's a more real wyswyg thing compared to the cyber interaction that young people are so attuned to these days cos wys (what you see) may not be wyg (what you get). Moreover, social skills are lost without the wys in person thing. My two sen this morning.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...