Monday, April 20, 2009

From the MacTop of a MacNewbie... Part 2

Part 1 (here)..... My first MacBook, a milestone I should think. After all it took almost 25 years! I think it has been quite well utilized. After 13 months of almost daily usage, my verdict - I think I'd be sticking to it. My HP Compaq nx9040 (courtesy of the PPSMI programme) has been in cold storage most of that 13 months. I only take it out when I need to use IE to log into work related sites which were so rigidly written for IE. Seems to me those programmers don't know of anything else except IE.

As for my PC at home, it only sees light when Son uses it even though it is a more superior system in terms of hardware compared to my Mac.
Mac1
First, the cool factor since this is one of Apple's pull factor... Me? I'm not that particular. Main concern is the ease of use. And on that count, I think it has matched or if not bettered the PC on many counts. The interface is cool enough but that can be emulated on the PC now. So no big deal. I'm comfortable taking it around in a sleeve that doesn't look like it contains a computer. It's small and light enough while big enough for use.
Mac3
The new aluminium MacBook seems even thinner than mine and definitely won't be smudging like mine. White may be nice but it needs maintenance. Am drooling over this new version.

I hardly switch off my Mac. I like the flip open thing and you're on. Was enthralled by this feature since Doogie Howser, M.D. days; how at the end of this young genius' working day, he'd push his Mac's button and his journal screen came on! Talk about subtle product placement! LOL! You can do that with Windows too, I know but somehow this seems so Mac thingy. I know I am being bias here. He! He!

I still use Office not because I do not want to use Numbers or Pages but because my documents and spreadsheets sometimes become promiscuous and wander into other comps, which are currently 100% from the Dark Force. I read that there are some problems with the merge data on Numbers and Page but I've yet to get down to it. Once I migrate fully, I fear I will create a zone of exclusiveness for my data. That may translate to double work for me.

I've used Keynote, though. And I must say it beats PowerPoint hands down. The transitions and effects are impressive enough. Other Half has downloaded lotsa templates for me. The final product of Keynote is definitely nicer too. We did the Church Dedication presentation with it. Else Other Half would've needed to use Flash.

The iLife pack is very user friendly... iDVD is convenient for making photo albums. Very easy to put in everything - captions, music, photos. For an amateur like me, I can produce quite pro looking DVD albums. Kinda like the 'An Idiot's Guide' thingy where Mac is concerned. Music editing with Garage Band is a breeze. iMovie is also easy to use. iTunes needs no introduction.
Mac2
Also Mac has all these cute programmes like the Dashboard and Spaces which, I feel, are typical of the Apple wow factors. With the new aluminium MacBook, I notice that all these can be called up at a touch of one button, instead of 2 on mine. As a result my screen is rather clean of icons, widgets etc. They can be called up with just a touches of buttons. There are still lots of the Mac's capabilities which I've not explored.

Oh ya! I love the iPhoto. The latest version has face detection incorporated. You are supposed to be able to call up photos with one particular person should the need arises. Organizing photos with iPhoto is a breeze cos you practically need to do nothing except enter the title of the set of photos. I like the way I can view and print them all in an orderly manner. And in making a DVD, all these in the iLife pack seem to work rather seamlessly. No need to cari here and there.

But the best thing about Mac I suppose is it doesn't hang; no blue screen of death! I've not had a single one the past year! The second best thing is the little threat of virus infiltration. Mac users are still in the minority. So there are my reasons for sticking to Mac for now. It's pricier than the PC but if you don't mind plonking your small fortune on it, it's quite well worth it. Now... anyone out there want to get me an iMac??? ... this coming from a quarter century PC diehard-ist who is gushing about the Apple.

So if you are considering an adventure out of the PC domain and be enlightened, do.... you most likely will enjoy the journey into the light! LOL!

2 comments:

Athena said...

this post is bad for my heart...... so tempted la...

AJ7 said...

this post is 'memang' to tempt you wan... Ha! Ha!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...