Tuesday, April 21, 2009

24 Hour Banking... The Hazards

Lesson learned... try not to bank in money into the teller machine on a non-working day. Cos if your money gets stuck... you have to wait until the next working day to know for sure whether your money has gone into your account.

And dealing with the countless so called bank officers. They expect us to understand, I expect them to do their job.. their machine jammed.. I did what I should... called their Call Centre....lodged the necessary complaints. Their job is to see to it... but there is never the ideal.

Now this is at Hong Leong Bank Teluk Wanjah... tried to bank in money via the CDM machine on a weekend and my cash got stuck. Their machines have this habit of doing this more often than usual, I understand. I immediately called the Service Centre in KL and was entertained by a sweet sounding lady... who could only asked me to understand. Only their machines and Customer Relations Officers work on weekends. No choice; so I waited.

Monday morning came... first thing I did was to remind Other Half to call. I was told at 9.30 a.m. that they had 'found' my money and will be making the deposit on my behalf soon.... I checked an hour later but no deposit yet.

So I called the bank again. Was greeted by a lady who told me that I must understand as the tellers were still not free to bank in my money yet. They said they had to count the money first... I thought the computer would have recorded the transactions. And the last bundle would have been identifiable... Took them the whole morning to count. A few calls and a lunch later, I checked my account. Again no deposit. Try to compare this to how fast they work when it's time to charge you interest.... and then frustrations will build up. The lady had the cheek tell me to understand. I hope the next time anything happens to her through no fault of hers and she is told to understand after being made to wait... she'll understand.

The money was in the bank all along... been stuck there over the weekend and now that they've counted.... the tellers are not free to bank in yet as they were busy entertaining the walk in clients.

I could compare HLB with Public Bank which is just down the same road whose service is fast and efficient. Counter service... you can have 3 people ahead of you in HLB... it's the same as having 6 people in PBB. That's how slow they are. Sometimes I think they do it on purpose so that people don't use the counter services. Noticed this pattern ever since their unions demanded for extra pay a while ago... when the civil servants got their pay raise.

Anyway, the last time something like this happened to me at HSBC, I didn't do any chasing.. The guard explained to me that it sometimes happens. After I got home, they called me to tell me that they were aware that the CDM jammed during my transaction. They asked for the amount and said my account would be deposited once they sorted it out. And even though I had to wait... I didn't mind. Cos they were on top of things.... this glokal bank of ours??? Still very local in their mindset and way of working.... dunno where the 'g' got sesat.

What to do... never mind... poor service... I supposed I could stop using their services also.. *sigh* Small people like us.... these banks behave like we owe it to them. Some semblance to a political party, don't you think...

4 comments:

daboss said...

i went to maybank wanting to open a supplementary credit card account for my dad... they didn't have forms available that day. i gave hsbc a call and i didn't even have to fill in a form... everything was settled over the phone. talk about difference!

Anonymous said...

Maybank is stuck up. Its staff in the A Star main office is very unfriendly, thinking that they own the bank.LOL. I still take my hat off for Public Bank in A Star, and, of course, HSBC.

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shot, this is "Kisah Benar" Try not to wihtdraw money from ATM which is not in the bank premise, like at the airport, supermarkets, highwaystops, petrol kiosks. My daughter did once and her card was scanned. She suspected it when the card did not eject out of the slot. It seemed to be stucked and she had to use her index finer's and thumb's nails to pull it out. And sure enough, the account was wiped cleaned a day later - RM2,500. The bank disclaimed responsibility and only showed evident that 2 withdrawals were made.It insisted on the card being carelessly kept.

ATMs at premises besides the banks are more prone to tampering. (What the heck! Those at the bank were yanked out of the wall!!!. MalaYSIA bOLEH!)

AJ7 said...

Our glokal banks still have a long way to go where service is concerned... Maybank - it's the gahmen's bank; so gahmen mentality. Some of the other local banks like CIMB, HLB, Affin still have some way to go where service is concerned. PBB seems to stand out - can see their prudent management style in their branches. Their banks may not be the nicest looking but so far, they beat the other local banks where services are concerned.

Daboss.. yup! I can appreciate wat you said about HSBC. So far, I think their service is good too.

Thomas... I sympathize with your gal. Thanks for the reminder. What happen to her can happen to anyone.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...