Friday, May 29, 2009

Ley peah... Foochow version

Photobucket
This looks like a piece of mini murtabak. But it is not. This is 'ley peah', a Foochow biscuit, though mom said it might be Hockchian. Drove past the kuih seller near my parents' house in Sitiawan during my recent trip home and decided to stop to have a look. I was actually looking for the peanut bread but since they didn't have, I decided to give this a try. Trips home these days also give us the opportunity to eat all the food that we miss.
Photobucket
Been so many years since my last bite of this particular biscuit. It's quite okay. However it's not as sweet as I remembered. Maybe people are more 'health conscious' now. The filling is made up of a mix of stuff... tang gua, porbably lots of lard (which gives it its signature smell) and other stuff which I am not sure. Made Son try it also.

Mom tells me this is one of the stuff they send as 'hantaran' during weddings in the olden days. Anyway, it was nice to be able to eat something from my childhood that particular trip. 8)

7 comments:

Hijackqueen said...

Too sweet for my liking!

daboss said...

err... can i have 1 too??? :(

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots, u brought nostalgic memories to me. These biscuits were part of the "hantaran" for my sister's hand in the 60s. These 2gether with the other 3 types of biscuits ( including my favourite the mashed up peanuts with sugar "Kong Thny" in Hokkien )were distributed 2 the whole town. It was sort of a marriage bann. LOL
THOSE WERE THE DAYS ......

Athena said...

gua tak pernah makan le.. mana beli wan??

AJ7 said...

Athena, near the old Ficus Palace in Kg Koh, there's a stall selling kuih in the afternoons. Can get all kinds of Foochow kuih there, including the peanut bread.

PreciousPearl said...

waiseh, i never liked this biscuit myself (too sweet, like Hijackqueen said) but it certainly brought back memories!

AJ7 said...

fond memories PP??? You used it as hantaran?? LOL!!!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...