Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Generation Diva...

Wanna know how much ladies of different generations spend for cosmetics? Here's the beauty breakdown... it's an American statistics. But it'll help us put things into perspective. In Malaysia, we're not innovative or creative enough to see the need to conduct studies of such. Our journalists are all too engrossed with the political upheavals. And there seems to be no market for such kind of research... either that or our researchers simply don't think long and hard on 'trivial issues' which actually have a great impact on the social revolution of a nation.

So guys! You better watch out what kind of gals you look for? They may actually bleed you dry. Kah! Kah! Kah! Beauty is not only skin deep, it's also pocket deep. And gals dig deep into the pockets to beautify themselves! Everyone is trying to keep their youth via the cosmetic jars. But even the cosmetic jars are no longer sufficient. These days, they use the knife, chemicals, compounds and procedures to stay 'beautiful'! And boy! They are all terribly expensive.

In comes Generation Diva... the tweens who pay great attention to their hair, face... every natural asset of theirs which conjure up the beauty image. And with today's more disposable cash, these tweens don't think twice about 'burning' a hole in their parents pocket. Even in small time Alor Setar, it's not uncommon to hear of tweens and youths spending RM50-300 on their hair. I left my tween years eons ago, and I've yet to spend that much on my hair, let alone face! I grew up simple and still do not find much use for cosmetics.. the time that I need to apply those stuff would simply eat into other things.... getting breakfast ready for example.

But coming back to Generation Diva.. these tweens are getting make-ups splashed and plastered over their faces earlier and earlier. Mom disallowed us from make-ups till we left school. She used to drum it into our heads that make-up will make us vain and our studies will suffer as a result, which I think still holds quite true. Multi 'tasking' and the young (and most of us for that matter) don't really go hand in hand. Didn't mean that she was anti make-up cos after I started working, she'd tell me to take care of my complexion, and other related stuff.

The proliferation of the influence of FB, internet, television, real life divas, fashion magazines has brought down the average age of the girls using beauty enhancing stuff and hence the new term coined for them, Generation Diva. It's not out of the ordinary to see 9 or 10 year olds wearing adult outfits or putting on adult accessories. Even I see lots of mini adults these days in Alor Setar. And parents think their kids look cute looking like an adult. And girls' esteem are taking a beating too, especially with so much pressure coming from their own peers. I think to have a kid who can say no to cosmetics and all other adult stuff translates to a kid with a high self-esteem; sort of... and that, I think should be something that I must instill in my own gal.

Beauty is not only just on the surface of the skin. Inner beauty needs development too. When we focus too much on one aspect, something else usually has to give. And development of inner beauty needs a head start from a young age. The outer beauty stuff??? Give it a few decades and women will automatically and generally reach out for a few jars of creams in their effort to preserve that fleeting youth. I've friends who have gone to the extent of eye lifts, eye tattoo... I do not know whether I'll tread that path some day.

Generation Diva is a generation who will constantly be trying to achieve that ever fleeting standard of beauty that goes higher. And with it, their pockets will take a beating. More money of cosmetic products will mean less money for other things. And among the other things which will take a beating, I guess will be books. In Malaysia today, beauty care is big time business already. Books are not! Such a sad thing!

So what Mom said to me all those years ago rings true too... if you spend too much time staring into the mirrors, lots of other important things will get neglected. Generation Diva... it's not a good thing for our daughters to be in... cos what are supposed to be lovely add-ons to enhance our beauty have become essentials. Anorexia nervosa, bulimia, lack of self esteem, and many other eating disorders will become more common.

The complexities brought on by modern living.. so many different quirkyness of the different Gens - Generation G, Generation Jones, Generation X, Generation Y, Generation M..... and now Generation Diva. Kinda makes you wanna dive your head into the sand and remain there, oblivious to the world around.

4 comments:

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots, it is a sort of bloom on a woman. If you have it you don't need to have anything else; and if you don't have it, it doesn't much matter what else you have. Anyway, there is difference between beauty and charm. Want 2 know? A beautiful woman is one I notice. A charming woman is one who notices me. LOL

daboss said...

welcome to the materialistic world... guess as the country progresses, these things come in...

Athena said...

i cannot say i do not use cosmetics because all my day cream/night cream/eye cream/serum etc is what i consider to be cosmetics. Although there are many folks who have the need to use make-up i.e face powder and such.. you'll be surprise to find a lot of engineering girls can't be bothered to! LOL..and i don't use anything colours on my face :D typical engineer??

AJ7 said...

I'm still stuck to the ol moisturizer... and very often in my haste in the mornings and tiredness at night, I forget. So, one bottle can last me a long, long time.... LOL! But there is a need to take care as we grow older... what would I do for the complexion of my little one.. *sigh*

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...