Sunday, May 17, 2009

Teacher's Day

This is something we do every year at school. It's one of those must have thing on the school calendar.

Teacher's Day always begins with an assembly. There're all these boring speeches to be read and then we, teachers have to sing this Kami Guru Malaysia song while the students watch on. I feel it's kinda silly, having us sing up there. Then the students will give a token (usually a small gift) to each teacher....

When I was schooling, one of the events we'd look forward would be the concert but these days such activities are frowned upon. Schools are getting too 'religious'. But there'll be some presentation of songs, skits... everything controlled. Mind you, I'm in a national school. I think Teacher's Day is still quite fun in the 'vernacular schools.

There was one year my school made the teachers contribute a 'kenduri' for the students. Imagine... I thought it was silly. For most part, Teacher's Day has become more of a burden, sometimes. I think the best thing they can do for us is to give us a holiday.

This year.. (I know the morning is not over). My school started the morning with a bacaan yasin.. something like that. The non Muslim students were asked to wait in the canteen. Huh?? How is that for promoting racial integration? On the morning of Teacher's Day, they hold such events - for one race, leaving out the others. If it had been Maulidur Rasul, it would have been understandable. Racial integration? We, teachers are promoting racial segregation. So, how do we hold such 'narrow-minded with holier-than-thou attitude educators' accountable for their divisive actions?? A short prayer of blessing would have been fine. I could go on but what is the point? These are people with thick skulls, who think that they are doing a wonderful thing.... We have indeed regressed!

And a while after all that... the speeches began. In it, the writers espoused negara bangsa, modal insan, integrasi.. blah, blah and more blahs... all rhetorics and empty talk, like a clanging cymbal. You know if you 'clang' a cymbal the sound is deafening and awful. A cymbal only sounds nice in a band. I'm generally a little pissed off this morning.... I am part of a system that epitomizes hypocrisy... and I'm ashamed! 8(

Anyway, over the years.. there have been a sprinkling of students who left indelible mark in my heart.. a flower here, a card there, a small token here and there... I know it came from their heart. And they encourage me on. This year...
Teacher's Day1
I got this early... but refrained from opening it until the day. From 'my kids'... it was sweet of them to remember. But what made my day even more was the content of the card... This morning too, when I arrived at school, 2 girls left a little something on my table. These are girls I nag a lot at in class.... And a colleague was sharing how an ex-student called her yesterday and wished her Happy Teacher's Day. The boy was one she punished a lot when she was teaching him.. and he still remembers her; and a few more other teachers who punished him a lot.

We came to the conclusion that it's often the recalcitrant students who remember the teachers who took the trouble to steer them back to the right path.... how's that?
Teacher's Day2
At school, I had a flower and some gifts. A few stood out. One from my last year's Form 5 students. They remembered! Another from a boy whom I've just had to reprimand quite 'harshly'. .. such are the memories that I'll cherish and also the reason why I still find teaching a calling. And these kids... they too have been a blessing to me cos in going down their paths, I grow up over and over again. ... and relive my youth over and over again too! LOL!

3 comments:

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots

Benevolence alone will not make a teacher, nor will learning alone do it. The gift of teaching is a peculiar talent, and implies a need and a craving in the teacher himself/herself.

Look beyond the "pengetua" to the creator and you will find satisfaction in the teaching profession.

May u live on many more Hari Guru.
Once a teacher you are always a teacher. Pupils still call me " Ah Sir" / "Ann more sein sair " for teaching the English language.

Magictree said...

Eh, I support, make Teacher's Day a holiday. By the way, I'm not a teacher but a mom who is just too lazy to send my kids to school!!!

daboss said...

you sure sound like one of th nicer teachers back home... :)

happy teachers' day and i wish you many more good teching years to come. many more lives will be touched...

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...