Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Gathering With The Girls...

I curi this title from Groovy Olives.... cos it was so apt for me for the week that was. Had 2 gatherings with 'the girls' these past week. And both group of girls were significantly of different generations.

My first gathering was with oldies... many of these were gals a good decade or more older than myself. Some are grandmothers, some are about to be... but all their kids have left the roost. I'm the 'kid' in this group. Dinner was in one of their homes. Food was cooked by another.
Food
Dinner talk covered the big and little things in life. The perspective is more subtle. They are more settled in their lives.. stable in a way, gone through loses, toughened and coarsened by their experiences. They give a glimpse of the possibilities that I can have for myself when I get to where they are now, God willing. It was exam week for my lil one. I took her along. She brought her books. But she ended up darting here and there, hogging the tv and being 'spoilt' by my 'grandmotherly' friends. I had a good time with them.

My second gathering was with the yuppies. Ranging from mid to late twenties... they were my past. The reason for getting together? It was sort of a send-off for one of them who will be going off for a short while. Dinner was at one of the restaurants... They represent my past. I was once upon a time where they are now too. Each come from a different profession yet they share a common past too. Conversations also covered the big and small but with more sway to the future... enthusiasm, hope, basically looking forward to the future. I enjoyed the night out with them too. They are my reminders of the hope to come, for them and my own kids.

Two gatherings with 'the girls'... and both enriched my life in their own ways. Friendships that cut across age and generation... I consider that a blessing. And it kinda reminds me of the visits from the 3 ghosts to Ebenezer Scrooge in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.... Ghost of the Christmas Past, Ghost of the Christmas Present and Ghost of the Christmas Yet To Come. I kinda went through the 3 ghosts this past week!! 8)

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...