Sunday, December 6, 2009

Bahasa Mencerminkan....

This was quite a while ago. I was having a nap one evening when my phone rang. As soon as I picked up the phone, the voice over the other end greeted me with an Assalamuailakum... to which I replied yah! He repeated his greeting... and I said yah again! Still he continued with the same greeting... and this time I switched off my phone thinking that it was some prank call. The phone rang again.. it was the same number and I answered... the same guy... the same greeting first.. but this time he asked for me by name. I asked him to identify himself. He was someone from the Department but I didn't know him.

He immediately went into a tirade cos apparently to him I was supposed to send him some data. I am struck by how egoistic men in the gahmen offices can be. And also how their world is only one colour, one 'language'... one everything. And the way these men talked to ladies.. they probably expect ladies to cower and shake in fear each time they invoke some name of people in authority to back their demands and request. The language this particular officer used that evening... if really 'bahasa mencerminkan budaya/bangsa... then I'd say this... the way he talked, the way he greeted.. he's one uncouth fler; tidak mempunyai budaya.

What did his bahasa reflect about him? I think he sounded like a bully. He didn't realize that certain names are universal - Chinese can have 'English' names which are also used by Malays but obviously his world is kinda rigid. I think he's a male chauvinist cos I think if I were a man, he'd talk to me differently. Then when he realized that I wasn't Malay, he toned down a bit... does that mean Malay men think lesser of their women? Cos I get that impression quite often in my dealing with my students and some of my colleagues. Or is it just a male thingy??? The ego and need to show they are in control thingy?

Bahasa mencerminkan...... even in the young people's language today, I notice the free use of 4 letter words, swear words, words with negative meanings. I supposed it's no longer cool to use polite words. Bahasa mencerminkan.... well so many things, doesn't it? Our parents didn't teach us, our teachers didn't stress on the importance of good language, our friends' language taking root in us.... take your pick.

4 comments:

Thomas C B Chua said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AJ7 said...

Thomas... I agree with you wholeheartedly. LOL! That's the prob with laying claims on a universal greeting and then getting all worked up when you think people don't respond as they should (read that as in the way you want it).. Very juvenile behaviour.

noora said...

Male chauvinism...esp among members of my community... Don't get me started, Amelia. The appalling rudeness, methinks, could well be the prevalent parochialism. Again, don't get me started on that...lest people would accuse me of being a kacang who has lupakan her kulit.

AJ7 said...

Noora... I don't think it's prevalent among one race only... I used to see lots of that among my own race too. It becomes prevalent when the mind becomes boxed in due to many other contributing factors.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...