Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo....

This one is by Stieg Larsson... also my 9th book for this hols. And it's also on the New York Times Best Sellers' List under Paperback Trade Fiction. At the time of this writing it sits at Number 1.

Set in Sweden, it seems to imply that Swedish men do not treat their women well. I've always read bits and pieces about the 'free' society over there. The novel also portrays the ugliness of human nature. Parents who are supposed to be nurturer and protector of their children abuse and 'abandon' them. Sweden is a wealthy country. So this abandonment is not out of poverty.

Anyway, the main character doesn't seem to be the 'girl with the dragon tattoo' but a man. And most of the male characters are weird or have sick inclinations. Monogamous, straight and normal relationships don't seem to be the norm. If that is anything to go by, this novel weaves casual and unusual sex as though it is something of a norm there. The story is interesting enough but it truly highlights the worst of human nature. With all the twists and intrigues plus weird sexual inclinations, it's no wonder that it's popular. And oh ya! The girl (who is supposed to be the heroine of the novel).... she was kinda left hanging, after falling for the main male character who seems to be a magnet for hapless and 'helpless' (but 'brainy') ladies. The male character is still portrayed as one where women find drawn to - good looks, charming.. that sort of thing! Not the other way round.

Sweden may be a rich country but the novel gives an impression of a morally decadent society.... with women still losing out and victims of some form of abuse in the hands of men.

The reason why this book ended up in my reading list is we overheard a Mat Salleh asking for the novel while at MPH a couple of weeks ago. The information gal could not locate the book even though it was sitting right near the entrance to the book store. Since the title sounded a little unusual, Other Half took fancy but I finished it before him. LOL!

But after this read, I think I'll put fiction on hold for a while. I still have a couple of books unread, mostly in in my Ipod. 9 books with one more week to go! The Ipod has served me well... 8)

5 comments:

noora said...

Hi Amelia! I'm reading Half the Sky by nicholas kristof and sheryl wudunn - pulitzer winners. Be glad to lend it to you after I've finished. You can't find the book here i think. It was sent to a close friend by her friend in the US and she has lent it to me. Great book so far

AJ7 said...

Noora: Sure... I just read a synopsis on it. My kind of passion. But I'll also try and see whether I can get the ebook version. You should give the ebooks a try....

PreciousPearl said...

got to be careful with some of the new fiction - the reviews can be misleading. Capt Caveman read one "highly recommended" recently called a History of Tractors in the Ukraine, and despite all the rave reviews, it was seriously cr@p.

AJ7 said...

PP: Couldn't agree with you more... why do you think I read the Harry Porter and vamp series? But then again, some may argue that 'misleading' is again just an interpretation - coloured by an individual's perception. We live in a very permissive society now...

Eesti said...

I saw the recently released movie before I bought the book and I am glad I did. The movie is pretty faithful to the book but "the book is better." I think it was easier to follow at the beginning of "Dragon Tattoo" after having seen the movie.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...