Friday, December 4, 2009

Ipod Touch... and Reading

... and this time it's mine. I 'fell in love' with the Touch... LOL! I was 'borrowing' Other Half's to read an e-book (Have A Little Faith by Mitch Albom) and I realized how much I missed reading. I truly enjoyed it so much that I finished the book in no time. And that is also one of the main reason why I have not been updating here... brain too tired. Did 5 books in 2 weeks! Haven't done a marathon like this for a long time....

Last week I decided then that I would get my own Ipod... a smaller capacity one; 8GB. Enough for me to read and fiddle around a bit. And I've done another 4 books! In slightly over a week. He Chose The Nails by Max Lucado and Twilight, New Moon and Breaking Dawn. Twilight, New Moon and Breaking Dawn need no introduction as they're best sellers and many young people I know seem to be swooning or drooling about one thing or the other from the books. My reason for reading them? I wanted to know why it's so popular. However, in my ignorance of the order of the series, I overlooked Eclipse. Anyway I'm giving that a miss. Have had enough of vampires and werewolves!

Harry Porter is mild compared to this vampire series. Are the books interesting to read? Yup! But deception, compromise, recklessness, endangerment, selfishness, I see all throughout the novel. In Breaking Dawn, we read about Bella using illegal means to get travel documents. Illegal is okay to the Cullens... kinda like the ends justify the means. The vampires are portrayed as good vampires but they kill without mercy too. Snarling, hissing.... these seem the cool words. Bella gave up her soul for immortality, to be with her Edward.. Vampires are looked upon as seraphs, angels.... Evil endeared.... entrapment in its finest form. If our life is to be used as comparison, I think many of the compromised values, morals, thoughts... they're are reflected in the novels. Decadence in a refined form!

Though I can appreciate some literary aspects of the story, I am also reminded that the occultic nature is made to sound so acceptable and right all throughout. To me this is a matter of concern as what we put into our minds do influence us. And for the young, it's just so easy to blur the lines. Even we adults blur the lines all the time to justify what we want.

I just realized my kid has gone through 2 major 'dark' series... Harry Porter and Twilight. Whatever happened to books which contain all things noble and honourable???? Those kinds of books don't seem to be making it to the best seller list these days.... *sigh* And such is the world that we are living in today.... compromises after compromises; the ends justify the means...

I guess maybe next will be a series on how Lucifer was just a misunderstood fallen angel..... and something endearing will pop out about him as well...

Anyway, I think I should read something else that will remind me the need to watch out for my soul... after all this dark matters. Anyway, another 5 more books and my Touch would be worth every sen that I spent on it... 8)

4 comments:

Sia Mooi said...

I agree wid u totally on the Twilight series. I read through the whole series in no time. Din let my gal read it. Explained to her some of the stuff. Din encourage her to read harry porter either. Glad she is still willing to oblige.

All the shows now are made wid sugar coating. Wrong is right. How can the kids not be confused?

AJ7 said...

Wrong compromised is one thing... evil personified as good? That's scary!

Twilight is sinister in a very affable way. That is the problem. How not to? Immortality with beauty. Vampires that dazzle so brilliantly in the sun (I thot vampires cringe from light). Metaphorically, it's making a statement that vampires are good.

Then some ask... what's a story to do with real life? I guess Columbine or the countless fictitious turn real events just don't seem to stick in our minds.

Ever seen a small kid standing in front of the TV doing whatever the cartoon (or animated) character tells them to do?? Often they're more obedient to those digital characters than their parents. So who says what we read or see don't affect us?

Dino said...

You read 5 books in 2 weeks on the touch??

AJ7 said...

Dino... yup!!! Sounds crazy, I know but I've a penchant for that sometimes... LOL! I took a break and am now trying to read a 'real' book for a change...

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...