Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Behind That Shiny Resume....

...Jottings of a Troubled College Student by Jasmine Yow. My 10th book for this hols! Finished it 2 days ago. It's a book that I've been looking for ever since I heard about it, in part because she is from my present kampung. Even asked my sis to try to get it in Singapore but was not successful. But this book literally 'dropped onto my lap'! The author came to church brought some of her books! 8) So I got one... signed by her some more.

It's not a very thick book but one that makes quite good reading. A sharing of the trials and difficulties faced by a high achieving student (her cobbled up resume is really impressive!) diagnosed as being bipolar with an eating problem. I think many of us can identify with her struggles. I can.

I like what she wrote in one entry. Let me quote ...."I want to inspire teachers to teach (pg7).... a good teacher can rise above the punishing system to deposit something valuable in each individual. He or she can show the students, this was how I lived. This is who I have become...... And then if you are fortunate, you meet a teacher who leaves an imprint, an indelible mark. A teacher who recognizes your potential and knows how to nurture it to its fullest....(pg 7)"

I think we teachers fall quite short of that very often. Teachers today are too busy trying to churn out results. What we do is to pump the students for results. Most of the time we negate character building. We fail to pause for those who need that personal touch cos personal touches mean time which we deem ill-afforded for pursuits which will not bear the kind of good results that will bring up a school's name. I remember my teachers... many of them left indelible marks in me. And I am indebted to them.

Behind That Shiny Resume is a good read because it reminds us too that faith in God helps us through those tough times. It's often that when we're down and out that God becomes truly real.

Another excerpt from pg 21... No one could really understand or see the severity of my confusion and fatigue, not even my parents........ "We didn't know. Or else we wouldn't have pushed you so hard."

I think the system has also trapped us parents. We push our kids towards academic excellence. It's the A(s) that matter. Even, us Christian parents. We are supposed to challenge our kids to lead their lives for God, prioritize God. Yet, we, Christian parents do this. If tuition (or exam the day after) and church clash... then tuition is more important. And we make some excuse that they're already attending youth meetings. So, it's okay! So is it no wonder that our Christian kids grow up no different than everyone else? It's like we want our kids to have their feet planted on 2 worlds... that's okay. But it feels like this present one we're in right now takes precedence and eternity is for insurance. We don't challenge our kids to live for their faith! We push them to be successful first then Christians second. It's not kids should not be pushed. Kids should be pushed...but they need to be shaped right: to embrace learning, not to fear failure, and to develop strength of character... (pg xii) The question is do we do that?

It takes courage to come out with the book. But I'm sure many will be blessed by it. I have.

Anyway, I thought I wasn't going to achieve the number 10, this being the last week of the year end hols. 10 was a crazy number to begin with. But I ended up having read more books in 6 weeks than a whole year put together! It was just a figure that I came up to justify the purchase of the Touch. But I am glad just the same cos this hols, the love for reading rekindled... I've got to definitely put it back on my next year's must do list. And rounding it up with this book kinda makes it apt.

7 comments:

Sia Mooi said...

Sounds real inspiring...if it is not in our local bookstores; whr can we get it? Christian bookstores?

AJ7 said...

I am not sure whether it is available. But you can get it online from here.. http://www.armourpublishing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=268

monay said...

Hopefully I can get to read it someday. Am reading this series at the moment...
Joy Hakim: The story of science: Aristotle leads the way, Newton at the center and Einstien adds a new dimension. So tempted to buy it from Amazon but can get it from the library for 3 weeks and renew 3 times... We'll see after 3 months whether it is a keeper or not...:)
and also enjoying the adventure series by Enid Blyton....I don't seem to grow up in that aspect....
Yesterday, number one was reading the time quintet by Madeleine L'engle, book two, A wind at the door...halfway through he exclaims, "this is SOOOOO exciting...." Number two prefers the Tintin cartoons...though I wonder about the languague....we borrowed book 1-7 from the library too. I think we have 86 items checked out....but the computerized system for holding books and renewing makes it quite easy to keep track of them and request books. Happy reading...:)

monay said...

YAY, Amazon.com has Jasmine Yow's book!!!! I can't believe it. Placed my order and it's suppose to come by Dec 31. ... I am so delighted with amazon and amazon prime.... it is amazing.....hahaha
Number one says... I'm going to start A swiftly tilting planet. Of all though, I think book one, A wrinkle in time is best.

AJ7 said...

Amazing Amazon.. LOL! My 2 kids are still into Tin Tin. Unlike you, I don't have the library with your kind of facilities, so I have to fork out own dough to get them. Asterix is another popular one with mine. My second one has been reading Enid Blyton (the new series) with a vengeance this hols. But I've introduced some others like Diary of Anne Frank and other classics.

Your Joy Hakim series seems interesting... and now you are tempting me to get it from Amazon...

monay said...

Read it and still thinking about it... I wonder if the rigorous JC system in Singapore and being away from home tipped the scales. I am glad the gloom lifted for her and she is able to write about it.

AJ7 said...

Life in the JCs are rigourous. But we also have to look at the system she was in before. It's just as rigourous albeit rigid. She has a blog.... quite interesting too.

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...