Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Time for yourself....

Came across it in my daily wanderings in the Net.
"The soul has an absolute, unforgiving need for regular excursions into enchantment. It requires them like the body needs food and the mind needs thought."--Thomas Moore
I remember as a kid, my mom was always there for us as we were growing up. The only time I can remember she not being there was when she was hospitalized. She was always there! She lived that period of her life (when we were still staying at home and growing up) for us, her kids! It was a lot!

I think all that sacrifice took a toll on her in her later life...and I sometimes feel crappy that I can't do the same for her. I can't really recall her having many interests... there was one point in her life in which she enjoyed baking...but now I realize that we probably had something to do with it. She liked plants.... that's about the only thing that we did not directly or indirectly benefit from. Everything else, I think we featured in them.

And until quite recently only, I understood how much we meant to her. Makes me kinda of a retard, huh? Parenting! Tis not easy! So much she gave, yet sometimes we still fail her. She has always been a no nonsense mom...and in many ways, my siblings and I feared her....a lot. But who we are today, we owe it to her. And time for herself.. to do the things she liked was not much of an option for her then.

Time for yourself..... I've been thinking lately. Family and job...today's 'siao' expectations that we have. Hardly any time left for ourselves at the end of the day. Time for yourself, I think it is important... we lose a bit of ourselves bit by bit without realizing it. And sometimes, when the realization hit, we are often clueless at how to move on cos we become cemented to habits and ways which have become 'outdated' and are still eating into us; stealthily they creep in.

Anyway... I think some time off for yourself is good for the soul. Mom never really had that until these last few years. Time for things that interest you... away from the same, sometimes mundane things in life... or some time to reflect, without being stifled by the demands around us.....or just being able to be with friends and enjoy their company... or a getaway just you and your spouse, to rediscover that spark that you share. Simple things in life...... time for oneself just to be able to do all that! ... for that excursions into enchantment! Our soul needs that!

4 comments:

Dino said...

You know ah....when i was taking tuition at your place, i fear you more than i fear your mom!! Hahahah!!! :p

Sia Mooi said...

That is why the older generation don't know how to relax and enjoy life. My mum will make me feel guilty for relaxing. But being able to take time out for ourselves is utmost important for our sanity. When the empty nest syndrome comes in, how will we handle it if we have not learnt to enjoy our own company? Your empty nest will come first before mine. I will learn from you...hahaha

AJ7 said...

Dino: Now you know where I got that from... ha! ha! A chip of the old block... LOL! But seriously... was I that fierce?

SM: Me before you? Nah! My small one is smaller than your small one. But you know something, observing my mom... she is still like before, waking up early in the morning, getting the house cleaned... even though the kids have all left home. And I find that she fills her time better than my dad. Again gems for me... it's good to keep some of our routines too - so that we don't let our minds idle.

Dino said...

Kekekeke!!! Aiyah...that time i think you were studying for your STPM/SPM or something, so when a bunch of Kg.Koh kids walk,talk,giggle at the same time, i think i will also get angry!! But last time dem scared of you....><

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...