Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Clueless...

...that's what parents are. Bumped into ex-neighbour recently. And when neighbours bump into each other, of course we'd talk about each other's kids since we watch them grow up, and sometimes even play with them.

So, as the conversation went in and out of that topic... I enthusiastically said, "Eh! Your gal has a bf ade?" Mother stared at me blankly. Father was just as clueless.

They asked me how I knew... I said, don't they read the blogs??? Oooops! Forgot! Could've kicked myself. I'm in the habit of following blogs.... most of those in my and the older generation don't. So I asked the sister who was also there but she made some excuses about not knowing and it being not accessible and all that... Aiya! I keep forgetting, parents today don't read about the happenings in their kids' lives digitally.

Kids also don't tell their parents what's happening most of the time. That hasn't change much. But in the old days, the siblings would serve as informants plus also the parents' friends. These days, siblings don't play much of an informant's role. Secret keeper more like it. And parents are too busy. Their friends are also too busy to notice!

Parents... if you are interested to know about what's happening in your kids' lives, spend some time following them digitally also.... Clueless is how I'll describe most parents now. Their kids announce events in their life to the whole world... the whole world knows but their parents remain ignorant in their own little cocoons. Aiyo!

Then over lunch yesterday. Bumped into friends. We had such a good laugh when Mom said she is often clueless about the relationship status of her son. But at least Dad keeps tab of his FB. So Dad tells Mom... Mom calls Son to enquire... at least one parent in the know. But this type of parents, at least where I am are still the minority.

9 comments:

Sia Mooi said...

That is why i picked up fb n blogging....have to learn all these because i know my kids will be in this sooner or later. At the moment they are content playing fb using my account and Ing's, when they hv their own; at least I am not clueless.

Anonymous said...

You know what! You should really get the hell out of other's people life! Like what the hell is wrong with you?! Nothing better to do? It's people's own private life whether they wanna have boyfriend or girlfriend. What the hell does it have to do with you! GET A LIFE IDIOT!

Zazu said...

Looks like anonymous would rather remain anonymous. If you want your life be private don't announce it or blog about it. If you do, then it's for public consumption.. then don't be "angry" when ppl comment and talk about it..

AJ7 said...

Who are you, Anonymous? Put a name to yourself. Did I involve myself in your life... I don't think so. If I read something in the newspaper about somebody's seedy life, I think it's fair news to everyone. If things are meant to be kept private, then by all means do keep it private or put some effort into it. Like what Andy Lau does to preserve the privacy of his wife. Don't go round announcing. I could delete your comment but I am not going to since it also shows your emo-ness and perhaps also your lack of maturity in handling issues. Anyway, I agree with you, everyone's choice whether they want to have a bf or gf, sleep around or do anything to their own lives... but if they choose to announce it over open media, then it is no secret... it can be quoted. Grow up! Take responsibility for your own action instead of berating like a small kid. Of course you can also continue berating as a faceless person. Anonymity equals to ?????? *sigh* Anyway, I didn't gossip about anyone here, did I?

Anonymous said...

Half of what you said is true. But in the case of Andy Lau, still there's paparazzi disturbing him. So you're like a paparazzi get it? If you know something, fine but you don't have to tell people about it. And about your post, you may not know but you're actually making the parents feel bad. How would you like if you were the parents? The child may not feel it's the best time to tell their parents about their relationship and then you go ahead and screw up everything for them. Have you ever thought about that?

AJ7 said...

Paparazzis chase after famous people. I wasn't aware that there is a chase for news. Neither is a famous person involved. Bear in mind... if something is put up in an open domain, it's free for all to see and quoted.
As for the parents - I don't see how any relationship can be screwed by just a casual mention with no other information unless the info in the blog must be really juicy stuff!
Be careful about blog contents. Unless of course the intention is a show of outrage modesty, daring acts out of our cultural norms.... then it does us all no good. Remember, it can be damaging to the person who writes. You seem to have missed the biggest point! The blog writer announced the news to the whole world! Still doesn't register, huh? It's like you opening the barn door out and the horse bolted... then you blame someone else that the horse has bolted.
Well, if a person wants the world to see that she is a morally decadent fler, she is free to do so.... but don't blame others when she is the one who put the info in open domain for all to see in the first place.... But I will pity the parents of this fler... Add that to the fact that their kid seems insolent and feels that the world owes everything to her.. *sigh*

Lee said...

What is going on? I din see anything wrong in dis blog!

pl Lim said...

Anonymous, you don't want ppl to know , so don't write it in your blog. I totally agreed with Lee!There is no problem in this post! Or may be there are something more interesting in your post?????

AJ7 said...

Anonymous... how would I feel if I were the parent?

Here's my answer. I would feel ashamed! I would feel that the kid I raised has no moral values. I know that ultimately what my kid decides to do is her business but I would be disappointed knowing that she doesn't give two hoot about how her parents would feel about her display of behaviour. I might also feel that all my sacrifice for my kid is not appreciated by her.... I might feel betrayed because she does not deem her family name precious enough for her not to shame us, her parents. I am after all still Asian. That's how I would feel!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...