Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Year That Is Coming To A Close...

One of the things that I didn't do this year is to paint (I mean touch up) the house. That has been one of the things that I would do almost every year. But a back problem was excuse enough also. 8) And time... I just didn't seem to have enough of it.

It's a year that started well... and though there were some disappointments along the way, there are many things which I should be thankful for. Life is usually a mix of ups and downs. That's what us mortals have to go through.. an imperfect world.

Idealism vs cynicism... the thought crossed my mind a couple of times. Growing up, I listened to people growing cynical around me, including those really close to me. I reminded myself back then that I would try to avoid the latter path. But have learned that it's hard to remain idealistic and gracious at the same time. Still, I think we need some degree of idealism with pragmatism. We have become way too permissive these days. Then again, that's just my perception. However, it's much easier to become a cynic cos then we get to blame everything on everyone else! Idealism brings disappointment though with a little pragmatism you might just keep things in a delicate balance.

But still the good stuffs remain these... good friends and family. But we sometimes lose some along the way; various reasons. Relationships can be stormy. I've also learned that no matter how close a person may be to us, like a kid caught for stealing, for his 'survival', trust will be broken. He will do whatever necessary, including 'selling us out'; lie. I don't think anyone of us is exempted from it. Think of Adam's first sin... it was a lie. Then blame! Adam blamed Eve. So, I guess it should not be surprising that people close to you do the same. We really need grace to go through life. I am reminded... to walk that narrow path, it's difficult. However, going separate ways, that is also part of life.

But if we pay attention, you will find that growing old means you become vulnerable. Youth comes with many follies. I guess that's why we all have to grow old.... cos if we don't, most of us will remain foolish and do foolish things. We need to grow old to feel our mortality. As heaven or hell beckons, then we'd reflect. It'd do us well to pay heed to the lessons in life but usually we don't. The trappings of our good life.... well, they trap us. You know, one of the things parents are supposed to teach their children is not to cheat. But what if the parents cheat so that their children can have a better life. Ironic!

But people still make my day. Was at the gym yesterday morning and a friend made through this blog and given some boost from an occasional meet-ups at the Club said he'll pass me some rolls which he says taste really good from further south. It brought a smile to my heart! 8)

Still, the hols were well spent! Time at the pool, mornings and nights at the squash court and now my Lil One can finally swim and play squash!!! Yay!!! And the best part I feel is because Other Half and I taught her ourselves, we actually spent quite a lot of time together! I started out the hols telling myself that I would spend some time coaching her in her BM and making sure she catches up.... did very little of that. Instead, we played! She read loads of story books though... none of which will help her in the school grades. I'll have to put in more time with her when the school reopens!

One phase with my boy over too. But he'll probably be sticking around for another 2 years. I know most parents are sending their kids off as soon as possible to ease them the pain of Form 6. But 2 more years at home will mean that he'll go out when he is readier, emotionally. I think that matters more. Also, it'll mean more time with us too.

Then the 4 wins from 3 sports - badminton, volleyball and squash. And did I forget to mention also, I won RM100 just before Christmas, winning a badminton doubles title. We made the news.... came out in The Star, Metro North section 29th December. There was even a photo! My gal was so proud of her mummy that she wants to frame the photo up! LOL! It's been a great year for games!

Sitting here and thinking about the year ahead... I am just thankful that I made it through this. I enter 2010 more wistful, maybe a little bit more cynical but still hopeful...

6 comments:

monay said...

I CANNOT believe this decade was over so fast!It seems just the other day we were talking about the year Y2K and 2010 is staring me in the face....

AJ7 said...

Couldn't agree with you more, old friend... The years seem to be zooming by now. It wasn't too long ago that I thought time moved so slowly.

Sia Mooi said...

U r so hardworking la...touching up ur hse...

I am also thinking of letting my kids go through F6...two extra years for them to mature and grow wiser before we release them fully to the big bad world.

May u n family have a great and fruitful 2010.

PreciousPearl said...

congrats on the badminton victory! hope you have a very happy 2010

daboss said...

wow... in the star newspaper... :) better frame up and keep to tell your grandchildren...

AJ7 said...

daboss... only a pic in the papers. I've got another one for volleyball which we, a bunch of aunties won in a tournament made up young ones... that was a couple of years ago! LOL!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...