Thursday, December 31, 2009

Counting Out 2009..

In a couple of hours 2009 will be totally history. The year is not yet over and already I've gone back to school twice to supposedly prepare for the coming year. One for Staff Meeting and the other to register the students. Somehow, it now seems fashionable to 'register' all the students before the school starts. School starts almost a week before the hols end. Add that to some schools (Chinese ones) who run 2 weeks of the hols with extra classes, the kids actually get very little time off. Kiasu-sism is very much alive! The 2 days at school... let's put it this way. No difference if we didn't do it.

And next year they have some rather quirky 'rules'. We cannot mark the students' exercise books in the classroom unless they are marked on the students' tables. Teachers cannot wear slippers (agreed)! and T-shirts to school in the afternoons. No exceptions seemed to have been given. Sports? All I can say is the first rule will make it more difficult for some of us to make sure students do their work. I for one will not go round the class and mark the books at the students' tables cos that will break my back! Moreover, many of the students smell awful by mid day, especially the girls. It's enough to nauseate anyone!

I went back to school to find a promise on one of my duties renegaded. Reason given? In the words uttered to me??? ... We just need to tell you 'A' and you'll see that it's done to 'Z'. I don't take that as a compliment. Increasingly I find that it does not pay to be efficient. You get buried and suffocate. A 'problem' teacher is less likely to be given more responsibilities.

2010.... I told myself that I wasn't going to let things like this get me overworked. I am still going to try.... well that's one of the things that I've listed down for the coming year.

New years are there so that we can a chance to start over.... new leaf. But it seems like we've degenerated! I wonder whether this state of decay will only stop when there is nothing left to decay. So I wonder.... is this decay only uniquely happening at my work place... or it's a universal Bolehland malaise!

On a lighter note... we and some friends ushered in the last day 2009 early this morning with coffee, Irish Kiss, yu-char-kway, cheese and ham, yam kuih.... sat and bantered till the wee hours of the morning. Priceless, some of the remarks made and looks on the faces of the kids. The way we used to eat our food.. ever heard of using straw to drink the laksa soup and then eat the laksa straight from the plastic bags? Or holding ice balls in our hands and sucking away all the syrup? They actually found it 'yucky' from the looks on their faces... LOL! Son got some pointers on how to pack his things for his upcoming trip 'round' and out of the country too! My yu-char-kway coffee and Irish Kiss kept me awake till 3 a.m. cos Karyn put in 3 tablespoon of Nescafe instead of 3 teaspoons into it!

Anyway, here's to another year of rat race....

4 comments:

Sia Mooi said...

It's not just your school....the same here. Just hv to buat bodoh n buat tak tau. I had it real hard too for being super efficient....taking it slow now. My joy is my students and being able to be an influencing factor in their lives. As tchrs; our core business is teaching; let's make sure we do that well...all others are minor jobs.
Have a good 2010!!!

AJ7 said...

Agree... We are in need of good leadership. But good people seldom make it there. The system we're in - it's the pandai kelentong people who finally become bosses. So, you get all these frivolous pursuits - curtains in the classrooms, beautification, table wrapping, all the superficial...

Wooodychua said...

hey.... i managed to sleep wor...i think you were still thinking of the 'looks' on the gals faces over the laksa story!
anyways, your son left d blanket in our hse. if he wants to borrow it, just let my mum know.
happy discovering special surprises in 2010....

Thomas C B Chua said...

Random Shots, better half n I wish you a year of high tolerance, extra motivation and strength to bear your "superior",colleagues and students in your career, AND a glorious family life with showers of blessings every day ......

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...