Wednesday, November 5, 2008

At the pool...

My little girl started her swimming lesson last week. Probably the youngest there. Yesterday's her third lesson. I actually had to wait for the instructor to take her height before she was okayed on the first day. She had to be a certain height before they took her in, you see. Could see the trepidation on her face as her height was taken as she wanted so much to learn to swim. She was one eager learner.
Photobucket
Been down this road with Son before...though he was slightly older when he started. My heart felt a pang of sorts as I watched her in the pool. So small but this one's a little dynamo. In a couple of years I'll miss doing what I am doing with her now...watching her from near and far, learning to use those tiny hands of hers to swim.

There were many mothers there waiting for their little ones who were in the pool. Made me realized how much things have changed. I grew up at a time when swimming lessons were a luxury. If we wanted to learn how to swim, we'd go to the beach. Into the sea we'd jump embracing the waves; eyes teary from the salty water and jellyfish for company in the water. More often than never, there'd be this mad scramble to the shore when we hear of these transparent creatures in the vicinity. And we were stung a couple of times too.

So, here I am back at the pool after a few years' hiatus. When Son was learning, I used to sit and watch in the beginning....until I got tired of waiting. Then I joined in the fun and learned how to swim. All those years at the beach ... I could only float and paddle a bit. After the boys learned how to swim, I'd take them to the pool almost every morning during the school break...at 7.30 a.m.; initially with 4 kids (1 mine) in tow but eventually with the mom of the other 3 too! It was a fun time....not too long ago. The 2 boys even followed us gals to the pool on ladies' night on Mondays! They were let in cos they were still kiddos!!! LOL!!

Well, that batch of kids have all grown up! Sometimes I kinda miss those years...cos I realize that someday, these memories would be what I'd have of my lil gal too....coming back to the pool....these are some of the memories rekindled and to be made.

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...