Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Me and Games...

I've always been active...from my school days. My best game is badminton but I try my hand at every sport. I was always game for anything new, a sucker for any athletic activities. 8) And it hasn't change much, even though this body is older and more worn down now. There are more aches, pains .... but I play squash and badminton regularly. And last week, lil one started her swimming lessons. I joined her in the pool too. Did that with Son when he learned years ago. It's deja vu all over again! 8)
Photobucket
Then a couple of years ago, at the behest of a few friends, I got reacquainted with volleyball. I used to fool around a bit when I was schooling but my skills were never quite honed. Being a badminton player meant I could serve harder than most people. 8) But my digging skill was bad.

Never the one to balk at a challenge, I bought myself a ball and 'played' with the wall at home almost every afternoon one year until my digging improved. And I did. He! He! I've always loved challenges like this...improving as I go along. That was a couple of years ago. Crazy, huh! Anyway, it was just something I wanted to do for myself! 8) But it wasn't fun playing with the wall and at some point I drew stares from my neighbours!

Games are fun. It gets your adrenalin pumping. It keeps you fit... but it also gives you pain. 8( I used to want to win...used to play badminton competitively, took part in sports. But as I move along in years, I've learned to appreciate the other aspects of it.

It has widened my social circle. Given me better endurance. I don't think I'd be able to do the things I am doing now, if I don't have the stamina. It has also made me many friends from different circles of life. And it also provides an avenue for me to have some fun...sometimes out of the game itself, sometimes from the meeting of lives, sometimes just because it makes us to work together for a goal....and sometimes, just to have something extra to talk about. 8)
Photobucket
So, sometimes I wonder a little bit more when some people cannot see beyond the other worth of playing games. Sportsmanship is set aside.... win at all cost...stuff like that! As a result they lose themselves in the pursuit of winning, often time, meaningless matches. One good thing though, I'm now better at keeping my cool .... LOL! Maybe I should list this down as another positive aspect of games.

Anyway, enough rambling for the day.....

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...