Sunday, November 30, 2008

Singapore, Everything Spanking New....

Photobucket
Noticed that the cars on the road in Singapore are all really clean, nice and expensive looking....well to me anyway since these are more in the luxury category over here in Malaysia. Everywhere you go, everything looks new. The cars only have a 10 year life span over there. After that, it'll be too expensive to keep.
Photobucket
The HDB flats are well kept. They are painted every 5 years. Nice playgrounds are found in the dwelling areas.... well, everything is orderly. Puts to shame the flats in Malaysia.

Did a lot of walking...that's how it is like there. Walked till my knees felt numb! But walking is a nice way to see things in perspective, I feel. I get more time to actually savour in everything. I only saw one old car during the whole time I was there; and that was a vintage car. Must cost a bomb to maintain, I guess. From COE to ERP, a car basically bleeds its owner dry. Then there're the red line, white line dunno what colour some more....for parking. So complicated. Everything generates money for the Singapore gahmen.

In Singapore too, I get the impression that everything that is old and unprofitable is discarded. You know we read about Sam Walton and his old jalopy which he used for 2 decades; kinda nostalgic. In places like Malaysia too, at least we see some old junks on the road and are reminded of the yesteryears. Here, there is no such reminders. Everything is new! Feels kinda artificial sometimes....as though it lacks a soul.

I mean, Singapore is efficient, has first class facilities and is probably an exciting place for the young....so many things can be going on. But for the old...I am not so sure even though facilities do cater for them. Walk into the MRT and I got the impression that it is not old-people friendly. Cross the road...you have to walk super fast cos by the time you are at half way point, the light starts to blink to rush you along. The malls are not meant for the old....I like to be fast but I feel things are just too fast over there for the old....

I was walking in one of the malls at Bugis St and the place was jammed packed. So were the MRT stations....at almost 9 p.m. on a weekday. Seemed to me people don't go back home after work... they prefer to hang out at the malls as they are 'bored' at home. I guess space probably has something to do with that. Either that or home is not where the heart is.

But it's been a nice holiday. It's nice to be able to 'lepak' with my family whom I rarely see these days.

4 comments:

siewlan said...

Guess that's why we have little towns like Alor Star where we can actually live a life...and cities like Singapore and KL where we can go off and on to witness the mad rush and understand why people suddenly collapse and die on the badminton court

Ning said...

Sg.. good place for young, ambitious ppl.. but bad place to grow up IMO.. good education and all but so freaking competitive! Causing so much pain in slack msians like me =(
it's a place where only the strong survive. gahhhh

Anonymous said...

The one thing I like about SG is the GPS satelite that shows very accurate direction. In KL, I've ended up in the longkang many times!

AJ7 said...

Ning...you'll survive. LOL! Always the worrier. For me, I'll always like small towns or cities. Me not sophisticated enough for big city living. 8)

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...