Saturday, November 15, 2008

More on volleyball...and role models

Been going for volleyball...and there'll be a few more this hols. It's something different for me cos this is the first time that I'm actually going to play this game for my department at the inter-states games.

Something came to mind as I was playing yesterday afternoon...I shan't use the word training cos if it's training proper, most of us would be dead meat. This is not my best game...so I tend to suck at it a bit. But over the years...in my own quirky ways, I've tried to upgrade my game and I did.

Was reading about the need for good role models in our lives. As we grow older.. sometimes we tend to think we know better (even when we actually don't) most of the time. As a result we tend to look up to others less because we think we know enough. Sometimes, age makes us a little 'proud', as wealth, position, etc.etc...so we begin to look more to ourselves rather than take in life's lessons from those around us.

Well, a humbling lesson for me this time... made possible in part because volleyball is not my best game... and also because there is a very good young player around this time... I'd consider myself a dinosaur compared to her. 8(

In the beginning I kept to the clique that I was comfortable with...But as I observed her, I realized that there was much I could learn from her. But she was so much younger. I wanted to improve and the logical thing was to learn from her. So I sought her out. By doing that...i.e. doing basic skills stuff with her....I was actually pushed beyond what I thought was my limit. And my skills have undergone refinement because of that. So even though I was improving on my own, I actually became even better when I had a role model to interact and work with. And the plus point is a relationship is also built....a friend made, and my own life enriched.

Role models...that was what came to mind. We need role models in our lives. They help to shape our character and mould us into better people. We need people who make it their business to create goodness, truth and beauty as our role models. We need to work towards being a good role model as parents, employees ....juz about any shoes that we fill. But more importantly, our spirit must be one that is willing to move in that direction. Seek out those who will be a good role model.... And to have the humility to see that need to watch and learn. That was my lesson for the day!

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...