Thursday, March 26, 2009

A baby bird..

This is the time of the year where we get heavy rains in the evening... we're at the tail end of the north-east monsoon. Usually around this time we get violent storms... The Sumatera winds have started blowing into this part of the country. Yesterday, after a long time, we had a big one... the winds were really strong and rains came down in torrents.

My pine tree beside my house fell over. The pot broke the first time it fell over. Didn't realize there was a nest up there. Son pushed it up again. When it went over the second time, my kids noticed 2 baby birds in the rain.. one was dead; probably from the impact of being flung from its nest. Another one was still moving. We took it out from the pelting rain.... and I took a cloth to keep it warm.

Lil One was fascinated by it. She had never seen a baby bird so close at hand before, let alone touch one. I asked the kids to keep an eye on the nest which Son had put back. The baby was still in my hands. I was worried that if they came back and could not find the babies, they would fly away. True enough, one flew in despite the torrential rain to check the nest.
BabyBird
That put us into overdrive. As soon as it flew off, I asked Son to put the then-slightly warmed baby bird back into the nest. To our huge relief, both adult birds started flying back with stuff in their beaks. They tried to fix the nest somewhat, we could see..

However, later on, the nest fell off the tree again. Son put it back onto the branch. We are keeping our fingers crossed that this little baby will make it through...

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...