Sunday, March 29, 2009

Penang Char Kway Teow

Char Kway Teow is a Malaysian favourite.. what more Penang char kway teow. Was in Penang not too long ago for a quick hospital trip. A relative of the friend took us around and we ended up here...
Photobucket
This is Lorong Selamat... people always talk about Penang Char Kway Teow... but after eating it here, I'd say Alor Star's char kway teow is almost if not equally good... and it is way CHEAPER! I can do without those big prawns-lah.
Photobucket
The price per plate is fixed at RM6.00, RM6.50 and RM 8.50! For char kway teow!!!! I'm not sure how much my plate cost but it had 3 prawns in it. But at RM6.00 for char kway teow? Inflation has hit our favourite hawker food!!!

Thankfully, it' still very affordable in Alor Star. The prawns may not be that big but at least I can still eat my plate of char kway teow without thinking too much about the price. 8)

However, a nice thing happened on this particular trip to Lorong Selamat. I met an ex-student of mine whom I taught when I was still a greenhorn, fresh out of uni.... it was so long ago, in a tucked away backwater district. She approached me first and asked me whether I was who she thought I was. That means I've not changed that much over the years! LOL! We talked for a while. I can't recall her name but one nice thing though. She said she always remembered me because I made a difference in her life... and I'm part of the reason why she is successful now... that was almost 20 years ago! Wow! Really nice to know that! And it really made my day!

Anyway, back to char kway teow... it may soon not be the average Joe's food...

7 comments:

daboss said...

if the rm6 quality is better, i'd go for the rm6 version. quality matters a lot when it comes to food... :)

AJ7 said...

Of course Q matters but for char kway teow??? Is it always reflected in the price?? Don't think so... 8)

daboss said...

normal char kuey teow (roadside) probably cost ~rm4... i can find some good char kuey teow around. but you pay ~rm8/9 (e.g. in madam kwan's) and you get real good char kuey teow... i dun mind paying that extra. :)

Jian said...

I miss lorong selamat. Not the char koay teow but the assam laksa and the ice kacang. Try that if you have another chance to go back there. To me its good stuff. Not sure of the price now. It was rm4 few years back.

AJ7 said...

Ais kacang... yup! We tried that. Not bad-lah. But I am not fussy when it comes to ais kacang... as for good stuff... agreed that they usually come at a price. Juz that cheap road side char kway teow was the norm. These days, even though fuel prices have gone down, it is not reflected in our foodstuff.

Athena said...

i agree with Edwin, paying extra for good char kuey teow.. but what really gets on my nerves is that you pay extra and still got mediocre..i.e. the lorong selamat ones....:( abit over-hype

PreciousPearl said...

char kway teow is a luxury item for me here :(
can't even make it myself as it's impossible to get the kway teow :( :(

anyhow, well done on making a difference in someone's life! and it was nice of her to tell you so even after so many years :)

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...