Sunday, March 22, 2009

Caged Futsal... Alor Setar

Went to Pacific on Saturday to meet up with my ex-students for lunch and saw this..

Some demo on Muay Thai... Muay Thai is Thai boxing. It's supposed to be a sport of national standing in Thailand; very much like what sepak takraw is to us. Anyway, I found it amusing to watch these half-naked men 'dancing' to the accompaniment of some wind instrument. This is the 'usik-usik' part. No physical contact.

Then it was followed by the next part. Some physical contact; a few kicks here, one or two punches there, but nothing that would cause injury.
Photobucket
Caged futsal... LOL! The court was so tiny! I've tried futsal once, a couple of years back when the first futsal court came up in Lencongan Barat. But the first foray into this was also the last for our group of ladies cos one of us fell down and fractured her wrist.
TMKarnival Bola
Anyway, the muay thai was part of the entertainment provided in tandem with the futsal competition that was ongoing. I lingered a while to watch.
Photobucket
As for my lunch with my ex-students; it went okay. And yes! We did draw stares and whispers... cause after all, what's one Chinese doing in a group of Malay girls, right??? I told my girls that we were drawing stares... and it was kinda fun to be different! This is Malaysia, regressed!

Anyway, these are my some of my girls who broke records of sorts this time. Not that their results were spectacularly sterling; but it was a first in many years that none of them scored below a C6 for their English.. and because of that, all of them had more choices of higher institutions to apply to.

1 comment:

PreciousPearl said...

well done u & ur girls, keep it up, who knows? one day even the die hard race-based stereotypes in M'sia might even be broken ..... we live in hope

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...