Saturday, October 18, 2008

Of PTK and Pulling Wool Over Eyes

Just sat for my PTK exam again...PTK is this exam that all civil servants have to sit. The aim is to assess our competency. So depending which level you're in, the type of exam is different. Mine is made up of a course (assignment, presentation, public speaking) and exam. I don't have much problem with the more long winded one...the course part, though I find it a waste of public money. It's the exam that I have problem with...the 'crapping' that one has to do to answer the questions. So about the competency thing...I think it tests us our competency to write tall tales more than anything.

I've passed both but I need a better score on my exam to get that extra $ increase. In the private sector if they do this, employees will scream murder! But because of the rampant abuse of the appraisal system based on performance they came out with this....which I think does no good either. No need to be hardworking...need to study hard, pandai goreng and a little lady luck...

Question like... Bagaimanakah anda mengamalkan nilai tekun? (How do you practise the value of being hardworking?) sounds to me like a Moral Education question. Most of the questions...you have to answer following the 'masuk bakul angkat bakul' (read that as 'self praising') style. Does this type of question make us better teachers? If anything, I think it makes us big bluffs!

But when you don't have other questions to answer, you'll choose questions you can goreng. I have a problem with this cos when I finally had to goreng, I'd get this prickly feelings.

Thankfully next year word has it that it's going to be objective questions only. But sounds to me like the MOE does not seem to practice what they preach...they are switching to alternative and authentic evaluation at schools (with the possibility of UPSR being abolished) but going back to summative and formative type of evaluations for the teachers. 8( As though that will push us to greater heights! Greater heights of crapping maybe, better teachers with better values....I dunno!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

let me recommend "Up the Organisation" by Charles Handy.....

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...