Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Product(s) of the Environment Version 2

I wrote about this a while back.. but this is version 2 since it's adults I'll be rambling about. 8)

We've a big event coming up soon, some medical thingy. As in everything that needs planning, people deal with people. In the process, we have to put up with different styles of planning and management. Different people different styles - that's nothing new. But where do our styles come from? For those of us who work, our jobs have a big influence.
Photobucket
Since our big event is a medical thingy, of course we got a doctor to head it. If you work with docs, you have to get used to being ordered around. Some of us may find such styles a bit brash or even bossy. But I tend to look at it from another perspective.. I mean I'd probably get offended a bit myself but ...look at it this way. I've had people telling me that teachers become dogmatic, always thinking they're right, etc. I am probably dogmatic in a way too though I try to keep reminding myself not to. Why not? After all we tell our students to do this and that everyday... and after a while it kinda gets to you too.

Teachers are very long winded too... again why not since we deal with such complicated souls. Of course, the subjects that we teach also affect us. Science teachers - no small talk-talk, only give facts, language teachers - beat round the bush, go round the world, literature teachers - aiyo, god help us!, account teachers - everything also count, math teachers - even worse than the science ones, talk less since it's numbers they deal with ...the list goes on.

Anyway, when a doc gives orders...it's usually precise, short and can be quite curt. So if you are the sort used to gentle talk, you'd be in for a surprise. These docs..they too are a product of their environment. Imagine a doc with a dying patient on the trolley. Can you imagine this doc asking gently for scalpels, tests be done blah, blah ... go watch House or ER. You'll get what I mean.

Can you imagine the same doc asking slowly or politely opinions of his fellow docs on the diagnosis??? Maybe my imagination tends to run a little wild since I watch a lot of medical drama...but my point is I think if a person is doing a good job, never mind if he/she comes across as a little bossy, obnoxious, unbending.... we should never let our eyes be clouded by such things. Focus on the good, eventually as we rub shoulders with each other, all of us will learn. Don't be put off just by the mannerisms.... we are after all products of our environment too....slightly more sophisticated of course, hence the Version 2. My two sen tonight...maybe I'll add another sen since I'm supposed to be more sophisticated. LOL!

No comments:

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...