Friday, October 31, 2008

To a dear friend..

This I dedicate to a dear friend..... When I count my blessings, this surely counts as one of them. Growing up in Sitiawan, life was kinda idyllic. Over the years, despite the great distance, we've somehow stayed in touch.

You know when one is in one's teens, one of the things we long for is someone to share our life, aspirations and dreams. Like all teens, I sought that sort of best friend thingy...call it a gal thing....maybe it's also a guy thing too. 8) Anyway, we clicked...though our characters were quite the opposite of each other. Her enthusiasm was matched by my pessimism. Again somehow it provided that sort of balance I needed. Her awe in God's creation as opposed to my doubting self... but her sense of wonderment rubbed off in me somehow in the end.

The passing of time, the rites of passage, adulthood....we furthered our studies, started working, got married, had kids....but the wonderful thing is after all that supposedly sobering rites, we still share that sort of familiarity and ease that we've always had. It's been a long while since we met face to face...but the last time we did, I was spraying her with water from my garden hose...the kind of pranks that good friends can do and get away with, even as adults. LOL!

As the last few days have reinforced in me, friends are important in life. They play a role in the making (or breaking) of you. My life is richer for her presence and many others. God blesses her as we journey into the next phase of our lives..... This year we are supposedly leaving behind one phase and moving into another....(maybe one that has a farm with cows and goats and little animals romping in the pasture in our golden years. LOL!) God bless her and all those friends who have passed and are still passing through my life. I've been blessed by such meetings of lives!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

clap! clap! clap!.. brings tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

wow... care to share who this friend is??? :)

siewlan said...

It is indeed a rare friendship that endures in its closeness and ease despite the great divide of distance. A thing of utmost treasure!

Anonymous said...

Thank u my friend.... You always write the best essays and am done when I am still scratching my head what to write on my blank paper during karangan. Glad and blessed to be your friend. Next time we meet remind me to douse you with water from your garden hose. I couldn't agree with you more, life is about relationships, with God, people and the natural world God has created. No, not me but Charlotte Mason (homeschool guru 100 years ago, said that...:)

AJ7 said...

Not too sure about the best essays thingy...thought I was the one always struggling.. 8)

But sure about one thing... friendships (such as this) that span over decades ... I never stop thanking God for that!

SATHEESHVARAN said...

The way you wrote that piece, I knew who that friend is , you had me a little shaken with the usage of the word 'passing'

AJ7 said...

passing through-lah...now you have me shaken.. 8)

Anonymous said...

ahhhh, so sweet! still remember the 2 of you well as skinny teenagers on youe bicycles.... cherish the memories and treasure the friendships :)

AJ7 said...

now...weren't you also another skinny teenager...sometimes cycling with us oso. LOL! Those were good days, PP!

Broken?

Education in doldrums... An already broken education system given a really hard whack by Covid-19.  I used to read about pandemics, that a b...